Monday, May 30, 2011

A Moment to Honor: My Tribute for Armistice/Veteran's Day

A Moment to Honor: My Tribute for Armistice/Veteran's Day

written on Nov 11, 2005

So many of my kinfolk have been military folk...and some still are. My grandfather (Army) fought in both WWI and WWII...even fighting under Patton... My dad (Marine) was in Korea, and his only brother (Navy) was in Viet Nam. The list goes on. All my kinfolk, to my knowledge, who fought were combat vets...many having lost parts of their bodies and/or having lingering health and other problems due to that combat experience.

On the other side of the world, my hubby was Malaysian Royal Army, Sarawak Rangers.

We have an Admiral, a General, a nuclear sub Commander, even nurses and other medical folk from our family represented...male and female... many age groups.

Those too ill, too old, disabled, etc. who could not go stayed and did fulltime support of troups...always. Always.

The tears and heartache... the fear and worry... the pride and joy in having our loved ones home again... the commitment to PEACE! No more wars!!! is strong. So strong.

I am anti-militarism, but never, ever, ever am I nor will I ever be anti-military. Our people have given so much for us ... and will continue to do so. We need protection ... not empire but protection ... there is difference, as you all know. And, they ... our sons, our daughters, our cousins, our neighbors, our people ... even our adopted people who are now embraced in our bosom ... need our support and respect.

Orange poppies, white crosses, old parrot riffles and caissons...

I will remember. I will love. I will hold sacred their sacrifices and the sacrifices of all who have fallen... on all sides. Their blood still sings out from the ground. Their blood...my blood...our blood... we are all connected.

With love and bittersweet honor,
Daphne Bradshaw

(C) 11 November 2005, Daphne Yvonne Bradshaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment