Monday, May 30, 2011

Love Scribbles for Uncle Jim

Love Scribbles for Uncle Jim
For Uncle James Edgar Bradshaw

“Please write the scribbles, Mommy.”
Very young but proud,
Uncle Jim was on a big battleship
In a place called Viet Nam.

Mom would write him letters
So he could hear from home,
And I wanted to write too
‘Though I knew not how.

But,
I could copy whatever Mommy scribbled.

I would dictate;
She would print;
Then I would copy each mark painstakingly
In my little girl hand…
My brother Eric would draw letters too
And little Victor in diapers still
Would stab a paper now and then…
Uncle Jim must know we love him,
Or he might die.

I remember the family eating in Huntington
Before he left.
I remember Grandma crying
When she thought she was alone.
Grandpa grew more silent…

“Please write the scribbles, Mommy.”
Uncle Jim must know I love him,
Or he might die.

© Copyright, Daphne Yvonne Bradshaw, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment