Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Shark Story

My Shark Story

We were in a more or less beach-front home on the South China Sea in Bintulu, Sarawak, Malaysia at the time. Our son would have been 3, I think.

It was just before sundown, and we all (hubby, our cousin Hurai, son, me, and our Japanese spitz named Junko) went wading in the shallows near the shore, watching constantly for jellyfish and other not so nice things to tangle with. That part of the sea was very treacherous to be in for other reasons, too. It was only shallow for a few 100s of yards before dropping into deep ocean. So, you had to be careful at all times.

Anyway, here I am the white giant of a person, a baby, and a dog when I felt something bump my leg.

Instinctively, I jumped up out of the water cursing enough to make even a marine sargeant blush... just as a tiger shark came up out of the water at me. My knee hit its "chin" and my elbow its nose... my fist slammed right down on its head. As I was descending, my foot got its ribs. I was screaming bloody murder the whole time... on instinct. I have been told mothers protecting their young will become fierce...

Anyway, I heard a pop. The shark gave a squeal-like sound. It fled from me. And, stupid me, started to give chase... until I felt the COLD water of deep ocean start to hit me. Then I came to my senses and said to myself to let the shark go... GET BACK TO SHORE, IDIOT.

As I re-approached the shore, I heard nieighbors and family yelling what I thought was "Shark attack." Well, as I got closer I realized they were yelling, "Shark being attacked." They thought for sure I had gone berserk and was about to field dress the shark with my bare hands for a bar-be-que on the beach.
 
(C.) Daphne Yvonne Bradshaw, 13 January 2009.

1 comment: