Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Fall From Grace

My Fall From Grace

Let me really describe my fall from grace... or how my mobility went downhill....

It was a cold and snowy morning on the hill in Frostburg where we live when I sleepily and innocently took our dog out to do her business. Everyone who had sense was still asleep, snuggled beneath warm blankets while I and the dog surveyed the 2 1/2 foot deep and still falling snow that early morn.

Standing on the back porch which sat high above the downward slope of the hill (which is called a mountain in these parts, but being shy of even 3000', many places would only call it a hill, but I digress) the house fit into, I watched the dog jumping through the drifts to find her spot. Being only in a light caftan, a light cape, and moccasins --not even stopping to put on my glasses -- I sleepily but freezingly scuffled to the pillars holding up the porch roof when a sheet of ice decided to dance with me.

Well, being a polite gal, how could I refuse someone sweeping me off my feet even before I'd brushed my hair or my teeth?! But I did nevertheless grab at a pillar and a banister to try and steady my ever increasingly rapid heartbeats.

But, alas, not being gifted acrobatically, I at the last minute attempted my very first triple lutz right over the side of the railing of the porch. Now, I admit I am a rank amateur at these things... and not the most graceful on my feet either, but would you believe the judges refused to even rate me? The nerve! I mean, it was my first and best effort at these things. Harrumph.

Anyway...

The very first thing I thought when my back hit the snow before tobogganing on down the hill was...

"If the neighbors don't have their camcorders on or are not watching right now, this is the last chance they'll get to see the flying eagle."

About 3/4 of the way downhill a kind "rock person" grabbed my head to help stop my forward motion. I think it was a really big rock person. I don't really remember that part. hmmm.

Somehow after all that I managed to crawl back up the hill, up the stairs to the porch, and back to bed where I stayed for a very long time until hubby finally realized something really bad had happened and that I probably needed medical attention... Being the stubborn wench I can be, I told him, I'll be fine in a decade or so and just went to sleep. Of course, a few months later, the doctor scolded me for not going to the ER immediately... and for moving after the fall.

Well, it was snowing hard that morning and somewhat cold, and I had not had enough sleep yet. So there.

And so my saga continues..... if you can stand any more episodes. LOL

(C.) Daphne Yvonne Bradshaw, 15 January 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment